harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Popov" <ivan.g.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti] Profiling support - Compiled Method Load event
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:55:08 GMT
I had a talk with Java profiler developers about problems with
reporting inlined methods. The answer was that the current JVMTI specs
are unclear in this area and different vendors may interpret them
differently. However, it would be better if CompiledMethodLoad reports
the whole code of the method, but not separate chunks. This would
facilitate post processing analysis.

So the suggested solution for this problem is different:

1. Report all code for a method including all inlined code from other
methods as a continuous range in one CompiledMethodLoad event

2. Report code of each inlined method in a separate events.

With this approach location of a native instruction can be mapped to
several methods concurrently. It is up to JVMTI tool how to interpret
this multiple mapping and show it to end user. Simple tools may map
native locations to the first found method, while advanced tools may
handle it differently and provide end user with more detailed data
about inlined methods.

Thanks.
Ivan

On 12/11/06, Ivan Popov <ivan.g.popov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the approach with reporting each chunk of a method code in a
> separate event solves most problems, though this interpretation of
> CompiledMethodLoad event may look strange. However, as JVMTI spec
> allows several compiled instances of the same method to be presented
> at the same time, this should not break existing JVMTI tools like Java
> profilers.
>
> I'm going to discuss this with developers of a Java profiler and write
> here if there are some hidden problems with this approach.
>
> Thanks.
> Ivan
>
> On 11 Dec 2006 21:02:56 +0600, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the 0x23C day of Apache Harmony Eugene Ostrovsky wrote:
> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > As far as I understand,
> > >
> > > 1. it is not actually a REQUIREMENT of JVMTI spec.
> > > Spec says that "jvmtiAddrLocationMap* map" parameter could be "...NULL if
> > > mapping information cannot be supplied...".
> > > I.e. spec allows VM not to provide native address to location mapping if it
> > > isn't available.
> > >
> > > 2. Spec says that each entry of the map specifies "... The native address
> > > range of each entry is from start_address  to start_address-1 of the next
> > > entry...". Thus we can't report non continuous code blocks using this data
> > > structure.
> > >
> > > 3. I've made an experiment with RI VM. Here's an example of the log:
> > > ------------
> > > CompiledMethodLoad:
> > >     method:    charAt (I)C
> > >     class:    Ljava/lang/String;
> > >     code_size:    195
> > >     code_addr:    00B43767
> > >     map_length:    8
> > >     map:
> > >         start_address:    00B437E0    location:    17
> > >         start_address:    00B437E3    location:    20
> > >         start_address:    00B437E9    location:    20
> > >         start_address:    00B437FB    location:    31
> > >         start_address:    00B43802    location:    31
> > >         start_address:    00B4380F    location:    12
> > >         start_address:    00B4381B    location:    12
> > >         start_address:    00B43825    location:    17
> > > ------------
> >
> > nice! thank you! So, the location might be the same for several start
> > addresses.
> >
> > > As you can see map doesn't provide location info for the addresses in the
> > > beginning of the code block [0x00B43767, 0x00B437E0) and in the end of the
> > > code block (0x00B43825, 0x00B43767 + 195)
> > >
> > > In my opinion, it is reasonable to report compiled method load event for
> > > continuous blocks of code separately.
> >
> > Yes, I like that too. If we are in N non-contiguous code chunks,
> > raise N events of CompileMethodLoad. George, what do you think?

But there is a general

So a method (say A) body