harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] A framework to inline API (classlib) methods as magics in JIT
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:22:08 GMT
Mikhail, interesting idea.

Two questions:
1. How does JIT knows which API to inline? Does it require the lib
developers to annotate their code?
2. Is it possible to summarize some common ops that are shared by many
APIs so that only the common ops are inlined.

I am wondering if it's possible to avoid the API case-by-case specific
inlining, which looks to me not very elegant. :-(  Although the APIs
are standardized, I feel it's still a little weird to tightly couple
too many detailed information in JVM. I don't if I am overconcerned.

Btw, VM helper inlining boosts GCv5 performance substantially,
especially due to the write barrer inlining. :-) Thanks for your big
helps.

Thanks,
xiaofeng