harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gcv5] is there an exclude list for "build test"?
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 05:45:06 GMT

> > Agree with Ivan, probably this next-to-high-bit thing is outdated, I
> > remember Mikail Fursov said the finalize property will be checked
> > outside the allocation invocation.  (So agree with Gregory as well
> > this may have nothing to do with JVMTI.)
> >

> JIT checks finalizable property for an object only for inlining of
> allocation helpers.
> If object is finalizable the allocation helper is not inlined and usual VM
> helper is called.
> This is all what JIT does for finalizable objects today. Usual VM helper
> must check finalizable property by itself. Today this check is done inside
> of GC_CC - fast_alloc fails if object is finalizable so VM have to call
> slow_alloc.

Mikhail, thanks. It's ok for GCv5 to add the check in its allocation sequence.

At the same time, I wonder if that's better for JIT to check the
finalizable property for VM helper as well. I guess this can be easier
for VM helpers since they are GC independent with standard interface.
Only guess anyway, how do you think, Mikhail?

(Btw, I am now trying to build the gc_alloc Java helper for GCv5.)

Thanks,
xiaofeng