harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] aiming no regression
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:46:52 GMT

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:

> >> Stop and fix the problem.  Is there really a question here?  I agree
> >
> > Yes, there is a question here. "Stop and fix" includes "discuss". But
> > as we now know discussion may take several days. And while some people
> > discuss what the problem is other people can't proceed with
> > development and patch
> > intagration.
> >
> > To have better pace and better CC up-time we need something else but not
> > just "stop and fix". I suggest "revert and continue"
>
> What's the difference, other than debating the semantics of "fix" and
> "revert"?
>
> We all agree - but I still don't think you're clearly stating the
> problem.  I think that the core problem is that we don't immediately
> react to CC failure.
>
> Immediately reacting to CC failure should be the first order of the day
> here.  Reacting to me is making the decision, quickly, about either
> rolling back the change ("reverting") or doing something else.  The key
> is being responsive.
>
> It seems that what happens is that we wait, and then sets of changes
> pile up, and I think that doing mass rollbacks at that point will solve
> it, but make a mess.
>
> The example of what I envision is when I broke the build in DRLVM,
> Gregory told me immediately, and I fixed immediately - w/o a rollback.
>

> All I'm saying is :
>
> 1) We need to be far better with reaction time

I would say we need to be far better with fixing/reverting time.
If we reacted immediately and than discussed for two weeks -- we would not
be better than where we are now

> 2) We have intelligent people - we can be agile in this by making
> decisions (quickly!) on a case by case basis what to do.
>
> I'll also suggest that we ask each committer to check the CC event
> stream before committing, so you don't commit into a bad state of things.
>
> One of my problems is that I don't trust the CC stream, and don't
> clearly see it because it's mixed in the other drek of the commits@ list.

The problem is intermittent failures. I suggest that we exclude graphics tests
from CCs and probably have CC-specific exclude lists for networking tests
(or fix all the known intermittent failures right now :)

Thanks,
Mikhail