harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing][testing] Tests that depend on Garbage Collector
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:00:20 GMT
Seems like they test PhantomReference and WeakReference rather than just
swing, right? In this case I think we should rewrite them to check that
these references are used

Thanks,
Mikhail

06.12.06, Ivanov, Alexey A<alexey.a.ivanov@intel.com> написал(а):
> Hi all,
>
> There are three tests in Swing which depend on Garbage Collector. That is GC is _really_
run as the result of System.gc() call.

> These tests are:
>    * javax.swing.text.GapContent_InternalTest.testPositionGC(),
>    * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCache(), and
>    * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCacheFont().
>
> What they check is:
> * j.s.t.Position instances are removed from the internal list of GapContent when an instance
is not used any more. (PhantomReference and WeakReference are involved.)
> * cached AttributeSets are removed from it (WeakHashMap).
> * cached Fonts are removed from the corresponding cache (WeakReference).
>

> These tests always pass when run on the RI. They were used to ensure caching works fine.
None of VMs in Harmony seem to perform garbage collection when System.gc() is called, and
mostly these tests fail. However, sometimes they pass.