harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Happy New Year! 2006 was great - 2007 will be even better
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:18:02 GMT
I'd like to say thanks to everyone that helped make 2006 such a great
year for the Apache Harmony project.

We have a lot to be proud of - a happy and healthy community that's a
top-level project of the ASF,  a great implementation of the Java SE
5 classlibrary, a great VM, a good start on JDK tools, a testing
framework that gets better day by day, solid focus on documentation
and lots of other things I can't think of right now.

We've proven to the world that open source Java can be done in a
reasonable amount of time, and it's clear we've had a major influence
on how the FLOSS Java ecosystem is evolving.

2007 will only be better - we'll complete our implementation of Java
SE 5, and hopefully Java SE 6 as well.  I also expect to see our
community continue to grow and flourish - I look forward meeting new
people and working with them, learning new things, hearing new ideas,
and seeing them come to life in our codebase and community.  I also
look forward to working with other communities - GPLv3 is due
sometime in 2007, as is the classlibrary code from OpenJDK, so it
will be interesting to see where we can work together.

Thanks again, everyone.  I'm honored to have worked with you all over
the last 12 months, and look forward to the next 12.

geir