harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivanov, Alexey A" <alexey.a.iva...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Re: [doc][user experience] minor improvements to website navigation and content
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:29:28 GMT
Hi,

I've read the whole thread and I'd like to share my thoughts.

I like the new menu is smaller. The old one was large and it didn't fit
on the screen entirely so that one needs to scroll the page.

I must agree that "Mailing Lists" is more descriptive than just
"Subscribe". And the page lists *mailing lists*, describes how to
subscribe, how to unsubscribe as well as guidelines (like using tags).

Also I am for having "Downloads" in General section. Most users are
looking for this link to try out project so that it should be close to
top.

I suggest restructuring the menu as follows:

General
* License
* Getting Started
* Downloads

These are the most relevant links for majority of users, IMHO. The main
page (Home) gives a notion what it's all about. "License" shows what
license is used. "Getting Started" explains how to download and use
Harmony JRE and/or HDK. And "Downloads" provides links for binary
distributions. It may contain a link where it's explained how to
download source code... but this info shouldn't be included in the
"Downloads" page.

I agree that duplicating the title of the section and of the first page
in the section is not good. As an option the section may be named
"Community" as it was, or "Get Involved" and the first page renamed to
"Contributing", or "How to Contribute". After all, the page explains
what a person should do to contribute code and whether they're eligible
for this.

Get Involved
* Mailing Lists
* Submit an Issue (or "Bug Tracker")
* Contribution Policy
* Contributing (or maybe "How to Contribute")
* Harmony Guidelines (or "Project Guidelines")

"Bug Tracker" may be may be preferable: it will point to JIRA navigator
where user can submit a new issue and browse existing ones. Or even as a
sub-item of "Bug Tracker", we can provide a direct link to creating a
new issue titled "Submit an Issue".

"Contribution Policy" will lead to the page which is titled
"Contribution Policy" now and which is "Contributing" in the current
Nadya's variant.
I think the structure of repository should be described either on "How
to Contribute" page or on a page describing how to get source code.

Then the "Documentation" section goes where the links to all
subcomponents are presented as well as Wiki (see Salikh suggestion).

And the last section and link may be "Site Map" which is a place for
well-structured list of links to all the pages of the site.

The "Harmony Development Kit", or "About HDK", link may also be put to
"General" section.

It's just a suggestion and it's a subject to further discussion.

Regards,
--
Alexey A. Ivanov

visitor-oriented,
>> add simple typical action verbs. It seems more important than the
>> abstract "lists" group.
>
>I do not oppose using verbs. What I do oppose is reducing the amount of
>information transferred by the titles.
>"Subscribe to mailing list" would sound good to me.
>
>Short "subscribe" does not explain what do you subscribe to:
>discussion, project announcements, product offers? Or maybe even online
>support
>contract?
>
>>> (-) The section "In the project" has no clearly defined subject and
>>> looks like a heap of links randomly collected together.
>> 0. hesitant. I don't know - I've tried to group the links for those
>> already in the project. The problem with some pages there - they're
not
>> as good as they should be. Suggestions welcome.
>
>The obvious suggestion would be keep old classification "Community" and
>"Development". These section titles explained link grouping well.
>If the new titles are not as good as we want it to be, why change at
all?

>>> (-) Moving "Downloads" from "General" section to "Get involved"
>>> section. Most of our users are not going to be involved. They would
>>> just want to download and use the JDK/JRE.
>> 0. reluctant. I'd prefer to keep General focused on the project, on
>> people and policy and goals. And I am not sure we have too many users
>> who want the JDK and won't be involved at all :)
>
>_Downloading_ is not related to _getting involved_.
>What I would like to see in the navigation pane is logical clarity,
>so that I need not scan link titles after reading the section title
>and deciding that it has nothing to do with my need.
>
>If we put "download" link into "getting involved" section, I would miss
>this link on the first glance, because I do not perceive them as
related.
>Putting "download" link to "general" section would solve this problem
for
>me.
>
>>> (-) Renaming navigation subsection "Community" -> "Get involved". It
>>> now duplicates with the page title, and does not provide a logical
>>> explanation of what links are listed in the section.
>>> "Community" was explaining the group of links better.
>
>> 0. hesitant. Community is more like people inside, and get involved
is
>> more like resources for people outside. Just my opinion.
>
>I do not feel strongly about this point. Duplicated title does not look
>nice
>though.
>
>One more idea: change the "Subcomponents" section name to
"Documentation",