harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Afremov" <pavel.n.afre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GCv5] patch for new LOS collector and finalizer/weakref support
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:20:58 GMT
Hi I have several questions about finalizer & ref in vm part.

1.       For what reason is native finalizer thread required? I thought that
native and java threads is equal for finalization purpose. Also Java thread
can uses future "magic" technology for extra performance.

2.       Finalizer thread starts works with highest priority, doesn't it? Is
it right? Why VM should stops when any finalization works is required?

3.       In Finalization system now there is Work Balance Mechanism which
tunes performance of finalization. When many finalizable object are
allocated and queue for finalization isn't empty this mechanism increase
performance of finalization (more detailed description see in dev guide). I
can't found usage of Work Balance Subsystem in this patch. Maybe it would be
better to use WBS instead high priority forever for finalizer thread.

4.       Did you check you patch with gc.SynchronizedFinalizerTest? Could
play with parameters in this synthetic stress test to provide reliability of
finalization system for any work load.

Thank you in advance

Pavel Afremov.