harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Ivanov" <ivavladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] new dependency (was: Re: [testing][crash handling] it will nice to add *any* crash handling to build system)
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:38:18 GMT
On 12/18/06, Alexander Kleymenov <kleymenov@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > please, don't forget that JVM  can crash before creating of empty xml
> > > file.
> >
> > In this case any start of vm should leads to crash. It will be easy to
> > reproduce.
>
> I can't agree with you. While working on regression tests I saw the
> situations when the same VM crashed on one test and successfully passed
> on another.
> This issue of an approach can lead to serious problems to be unnoticed.
> So I conclude it can't be used for DRLVM testing.

If no report file was generated it is usually mean that VM can't start (like
em64t build 2 weeks ago :)).

Actually the report file creation code works before test so it failed always
or passed always.

I just want to say that in case vm crashes on some particular case the empty
report file will be created.

By the way, if the same approach will be applied to DRLVM testing empty file
detection will works for it too.

> > And what about the tests not using xml formatter?
> >
> > I think, we can generate xml-files by build as post-processing of test
> run.
> >  thanks, Vladimir
>
> Now I see this approach is loosing its main feature - simplicity.

No, it is very simple and does not depend on external tasks (only ant-core
tasks).

I agree that extension of junit task also can solve this problem but let it
be the next step if the first simple step does not solve it.

 Thanks, Vladimir