harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][pack200] Development has stalled :-(
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:30:54 GMT
It's been almost a month since I last did any development work on
Pack200. I submitted
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2246 with the work that
I'd done, and after a few false starts, it was committed :-)

I'm waiting for a new module to be created and for the pack200 code to
be moved there so that I can start work again. (I've commented on this
before, and recently raised
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2479 to record this
separate issue.)

Given the problems that I've had with generating patches, I really
don't want to start any work until the re-org happens; generating
patches once there's refactorings generally seems to fail quite badly
in my past experience. As a result, I've pretty much been sitting
twiddling my thumbs since before Nov 20th.

One other possibility would be for me to move on-going development of
this onto a different version control system, and then when it's
finished, I can contribute it in bulk back to Harmony. I'd prefer not
to do this on the whole  but I'm wondering if it would be more
efficient all round if I did this; that way, I get the benefit of
performing smaller commits and I have something that I can write to
directly rather than generating cumbersome patches.

If anyone's got any thoughts on the matter, please let me know.

Alex.