harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] finalizer design questions
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:33:30 GMT

> >Well, we need a finalizer.  I agree that we're overthinking this a
> >bit, but I'd like to understand why anyone thinks this belongs in the
> >GC - we keep claiming to do a modular VM, yet then do things like
> >this... :)

We can keep the minimal finalization implementation we have now ( a single
high priority finalization thread ), and wait for use cases that need more.
IMHO.

The finalization subsystem is currently a VM component and the VM exposes
the interface ( though minimal ) to the GC. This is the right way, and does
not violate modularity or GC pluggability.