harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] finalizer design questions
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:01:12 GMT

> >Question - why would this be part of the GC system, rather than a VM
> >facility that the GC uses?

It is a VM faciity, but the only consumer is the GC. So it doesn't matter
where the code lives.

Finalization is hardly ever used intensively by real apps, as far as I know,
except to release unmanaged resources that can't wait for process teardown.
We may be overthinking the design. I don't see a problem with Weldon's per
cpu idea( though I don't know if one can assume that the JVM can control
thread scheduling, it depends on how the JVM is hosted ). I think that it is
OK to fail with out of memory for a badly written app. As mentioned
elsewhere, I think, I would suggest waiting for a real problem to surface
with an app or a benchmark we care about before trying to come up with the
design that will solve it.