harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gcv5] finalizer design
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:23:24 GMT

> >For "WBS", I personally think the idea of WBS is buggy. For
> >finalization, increasing thread number to compete with Java thread for
> >scheduling opportunity is problematic. This idea is an assumption that
> >the underlying scheduling system in OS will work as WBS expects, but
> >this assumption is not necessarily true.

There is some underlying assumption of Java to OS threads being 1:1, and
ultimately the OS scheduling everything. Some of these will need to change
where the OS is not the hosting environment, eg., running Harmony with
Oracle DB or Oracle App Server which will want to do their own task
scheduling. We can expect some surprises and new data when we run under
these environments.

>As I said, the native finalization implementation is still evolving. I
> >would suggest to have some benchmarks to compare the Java thread
> >implementation and the native one, which can help us to understand the
> >design better.

SpecJAppServer. It's the kind of application environment we want to excel in
anyway.