harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][Helper inlining] GC write barrier inline?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:57:54 GMT
> >Thanks, Robin. This is a very important remainder. In the example code
> >I wrote, it is not substituting. Now I realize it might be a good idea
> >to make it substituting.  Initially this can be achieved by:
> >1. Adding below as the first statement in the Java helper body:
> >    p_slot.Store(p_target);
> >2. In JIT, the store that incurs write barrier will not emitted. It is
> >substituted with the inlined Java helper.

Correct. BTW, does this break GCV4.1, or does it also generate the store in
the helper?

>Since I somehow am not a branch predictor fun, I am used to put the
>common TRUE case in the branch condition so that the fast path can be
>scheduled as fall-through branch automatically by the JIT. This might
>be very old and obsolete C programming wisdom. :-)

It has changed so many times across processor + compiler, that it's
impossible for the programmer to get right :-) What does Jitrino expect? It
is easier to just fall in with Jitrino's assumption, and then tune the
jitrino code generation across platforms as needed.