harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Markov" <mikhail.a.mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Wise JIRA processing
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:58:12 GMT

> Mikhail Markov wrote:
> > HI!
> >

> > In my opinion, it's hard to track open JIRAs now.
> >

> > For example, if the JIRA is not assigned then there is no simple way to
> > understand if there's activity in there except opening it in web-browser
> > and
> > reading comments.
> > Only committers could modify the status of JIRAs and put them "In
> progress"
> > mode. As we have not so many committers they could not monitor large
> number
> > of open JIRA.
>
> I'm not sure how your solution helps this.  Can you explain?

Just plain statistics (for classlib):
Open JIRA #: 425
Assigned JIRA #: 52
Reopened JIRA #: 6
In progress JIRA #: 5
It's not easy to answer the question: "are there any activity in other open
JIRA?"...
The only indicator is "In progress" tag. Only committers could set this tag,
but as the number of JIRA is rather large they could not monitor everything.
The proposal is to increase the number of "JIRA masters".

> > One of possible solutions is implemented in Apache Geronimo project:
> there
> > is so called "JIRA contributor" role when the person could modify JIRAs
> > like
> > committers (close/reopen JIRA, modify it's status etc.) but could not
> > commit
> > the code to the repository.
> >
> > This role seems intermediate between contributor and committer ones,
> some
> > kind of "committer kindergarten" :-).
> >
> > I think that for better processing JIRA issues we could implement
> similar
> > role in Harmony (or invent something better).
> >

> > What do you think?
> >

> I'm not a fan.  I want to ensure that people show up here on the dev
> list, interact with others, and simply *engage*.  While I haven't looked
> closely in the last week, my personal impression of things is that we
> already have quite a bit of "conversation" on JIRA that never is visible
> on the dev list, which isn't very good, IMO.

I don't think that every problem should be discussed in dev list. For simple
cases it's enough to talk in JIRA, but weird cases of course should be
discussed in the list and after the discussion the decision should be
reflected/implemented in the JIRA.
And in my opinion this is what happened today so i don't see any harm adding
new roles - this will just help JIRA putting (and having it after that) in
order.

Regards,
Mikhail

So I guess I'd probably need to understand better what this does for us,