harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] finalizer design questions
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:05:17 GMT
On 12/25/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > On 12/24/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sunday 24 December 2006 16:23 Weldon Washburn wrote:
> [snip]

This is a very good investigation, looks like this is exactly the way
> that production VMs follow with finalizers.
>
> One last thing that is unclear to me is if an application creates many
> objects of a class which have long running (never ending) finalize
> method, it may cause out of memory condition because objects wouldn't be
> removed from heap. Is it true with this approach?

I ran some more tests.  I created 10,000 finalizable objects.  Then I
 "newed" enough empty arrays to cause the GC to shove the 10,000 finalizable
objects into finalization queue.  The finalize() method contains exactly the
same while(true){ busy} workload as before.

As far as I can tell, only the first object on the finalize queue is ever
executed. The other 9,999 objects remain in the queue until the first
object's finalizer returns (which it never does.)   Supporting evidence is
that when I change the workload so that the finalize() method finishes after
100M loops, the JVM then move onto the next finalizable object in the queue.

In other words, as far as the JVM is concerned the Java app programmer can
legitimately create a situation where the JVM is flooded with objects
requiring finalization and these objects chew up all availiable Java heap.
And the Java app programmer can legitimately create a situation where a
finalizer never finishes and it hogs 97% of available CPU.  It looks to me
like one of those unavoidable situations where the java app will crash and
burn.  Its much the same situation as intentionally creating an infinite
link-list of live objects.  Its easy to build an app that does this.  And,
yes, the JVM will run out of heap and exit.  Its probably best to tell the
app programmer, "just don't do this".

Assuming the app programmer creates only short running finalizable objects,
the scheme I described earlier should exhibit appropriate "automatic gain
control" properties.  In other words,  once the finalizers start running,
they take priority over the normal java app.  This starves out the java app
threads that are clogging the heap with finalizable objects.  If there are
exactly the same number of finalizer threads as CPUs in the box,  all CPUs
will be busy executing finalizers.  Once all the finalizers are executed,
the JVM/OS will automatically schedule the java app threads which, in turn,
will fill up the finalizer queue.  This describes a full cycle.

If you run your test with many finalizable objects which cannot be

--
Weldon Washburn