harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] finalizer design questions
Date Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:45:42 GMT
On 12/24/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 24 December 2006 16:23 Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > Very interesting.  Please tell me if the following is correct.  Without
> > WBS, finalizing objects falls further and further behind because
> > finalization thread(s) are unable to grab enough of the CPU(s) to keep
> up.
> > Instead of increasing the priority of the finalization thread(s), WBS
> takes
> > the approach of increasing the number of finalization threads.  The net
> > effect is to increase the rate of finalization by diluting the OS ready
> > queue.
> >
> > Does the following alternative design make sense?  Assume the OS/VM
> porting
> > layer allows the VM to change an OS thread's priority appropriately.
> > During VM boot, query the OS to determine the number of CPUs in the box
> and
> > create one finalizer thread for each CPU.  Never create additional
> > finalizer threads.  Boost the priority of the finalizer threads above
> the
> > level of Java app threads (but probably below real time priority.)  Note
> > that all of this is orthogonal to "native" vs. "java" finalizer threads.
>

> I like this approach. It probably covers all mentioned problems except for
> the
> fundamental finalizers problem of long running (never ending) finalize()

To answer this question, I build a simple single thread finalizer test.  It
causes the JVM to call a finalize() method that does a never ending CPU
intensive task.  Every 10 million iterations, this method prints out an
iteration count.  While finalize() is running, main() executes a second copy
of exactly the same workload.   main()'s print statement is slightly
different so that its easy to sort out the comingled output.

I ran the above workload on a product JVM on a single CPU laptop and
observed the following.  The print statements of main() and finalize() are
indeed comingled.  This suggests that the JVM runs finalize() in a seperate
thread.  The test ran for a rough approximation of eternity (I killed the
test after 30 minutes).  This suggests that the JVM is never supposed to
kill a long running finalizer.  In other words, the finalizer is supposed to
run as long as it wants.  This utility of building an app that contains a
finalizer that consumes vast quantities of CPU time is an entirely different
issue from JVM architecture.

There were about 40 finalize() print statements to one main() print
statement.  In other words, the finalize() method consumed about 97% of the
CPU and main() got the remaining 3%.  Given the workloads are identical, one
explanation for the above is that the JVM is setting its finalizer thread
priority higher than normal Java threads.  I don't know the current
windowsXP thread sched algorithm but my guess that is that it has some
notion of "nice" which allows lower priority threads to run once every 30 or
40 thread sched ticks.

If DRLVM were ever ported to an OS that did not have a "nice" thread sched
algorithm, we could simply move the finalizer thread priority back to
normal.

In other words,  I don't yet see evidence that my original proposal is
incorrect.  Sorry for the long explanation.

methods.

--
Weldon Washburn