harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] vmmagic snapshot available
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:25:32 GMT

> There is no problem to support old-style (exception) and new style
> (annotation) pragmas in JIT.
> But there is a problem for helpers developers. If vmmagic.jar has only one
> of them, you can't compile a helper if you use another. So if we use
> vmmagics from 3rd party site it's better for us to write helpers that can
> be
> compiled with the same library.

Good point.  I assume vmmagic is rapidly stabilizing.  In other words, once
we make the migration to the new vmmagic API, it won't change for a very
long time.  As far as I can tell, the big change is in the pragmas.  There
was minor change in the unboxed directory.  This means (hopefully) little or
no impact on the lines of "real" code.  Just some mods on how a method is
declared "uninterruptible", "noinline", etc.  The bottom line, moving
everything over to the new vmmagic API is probably less work than trying to
maintain a mix and match of old and new API.  Robin, is this a correct
statement?

--
Weldon Washburn