harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drrvm][jitrino] How can we start Escape Analysis
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 05:05:02 GMT
Clara,

There are 2 implementations of Escape Analysis in the optimizer:

- old_escape (escapeanalyzer.cpp) is an old prototype which does some
analysis but does not actually optimize anything;
- escape (escanalyzer.cpp) is a newer prototype which implements EA-based
sychronization elimination and works on Windows/IA32. It showed a good
performance improvement, but a new thread manager in DRLVM siginificantly
reduced synchronization cost, so performance effect from escape pass became
imperceptible and tjhe optimization has been turned off.

You can try the 'escape' optimization pass by including it into the
optimization path in the emconf file. For example, to add escape into the
default optimizer path, edit your client.emconf as follows (added pass
marked bold):

-XDjit.CD_OPT.path.optimizer=ssa,devirt,inline,uce,purge,simplify,dce,uce,*
escape*,lazyexc,memopt,simplify,dce,uce,lower,dessa,statprof,markglobals

Thank you,
Pavel