harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] Reflection support for generics
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:00:46 GMT
Paulex Yang wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I found that IBM VME's kernel class implementation don't fully support
> generics related reflection, more specifically, the methods below always
> return null: (Oli? would you like to confirm?)
>
> j.l.r.Constructor.getGenericParameterTypes()
> j.l.r.Constructor.getGenericExceptionTypes()
> j.l.r.Field.getGenericType()
> j.l.r.Method.getGenericReturnType()
> j.l.r.Method.getGenericParameterTypes()
> j.l.r.Method.getGenericExceptionTypes()
> java.lang.Class.GetGenericInterfaces()
> java.lang.Class.GetGenericSuperclass()
>
> So I looked at DRLVM's j.l.r.Constructor implementation, seems most
> codes related generics reflection are VM neutral, such as classes in
> o.a.h.l.r.parser, except several small native methods locate in
> o.a.h.v.VMGenericsAndAnnotations to access class flags, I haven't looked
> into other classes but I won't be surprised if they aren't in similar
> case. If so, it makes sense to me to extract the VM independent part
> into class library codes as utilities, so that IBM VME(and other Harmony
> compatible VM) can also benefit from them, one obvious drawback may be
> some new VMI methods needed to access the VM implementation details.
> Because lack of enough knowledge on either IBM VME or DRLVM
> implementation, I'm not sure if it is a good idea. So any comments from
> DRL gurus and others?

I know that you were asking for DRL gurus, but...

this makes sense to me, looking at the logic in the DRLVM-specific types
it appears that we can share that non-trivial logic across VM's and
reduce the VM-specific parts to retrieving the raw data and calling
those helpers.

The logic place for such shared types would be in
o.a.h.luni.internal.reflect.  Of course, it does not preclude VMs
dealing with the API entirely themselves and not delegating to the
helpers if they so choose.

Regards,
Tim