harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [build] Changing native compiler options by setting environment variables
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:42:06 GMT

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> > Guys,
>> >
>> > I've implemented possibility to set native compiler options for debug
>> > and release mode through environment variables. HYRELEASECFLAGS  for
>> > release flags and HYDEBUGCFLAGS for debug.
>> >
>> > For example, if you want to set more aggressive optimizing options you
>> > can do the following:
>> > === Windows ===
>> > c:>set HYRELEASECFLAGS=-O2
>> > c:>ant -Dhy.cfg=release
>> > === Windows ===
>> >
>> > === Unix ===
>> > $export HYRELEASECFLAGS=-O2
>> > $ant -Dhy.cfg=release
>> > === Unix ===
>> >
>> > I hope this will be useful.
>> >
>> > SY, Alexey
>> >
>> > P.S. Nadya, you are a doc guru :) Could you please publish info about
>> > this environment variables and release/debug switch somewhere on the
>> > site? Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Several comments :
>>
>> 1) Yarg!  not the dreaded "HY" prefix.  Your name isn't "Ay", mine isn't
>> "Gr" so Harmony's name isn't "Hy" :)
> HARMONYRELEASECFLAGS is toooo long :)
> HY seems widely used. In -Dhy.cfg, for example :)

Why not save 50% and just use "H"? :)

or

HARMONY_RELCFLAGS :)

>> 2) Cool but... is there a way we can convert this facility to command
>> line properties?  Using environment vars always strikes me as a side
>> effect - IOW, looking at a script that has :
>>
>>     $ant -Dhy.cfg=release
>>
>> you have no clue what ephemeral values were set in the environment...
> Yep, I thought about it, but did not implement yet. It is easy to
> implement feature anyway.

We'll want it for automated builds - there's no way I'd want any
snapshots or builds to depend on environment variables (any more than
they do now...)  IIRC, we still depend on CXX for DRLVM, but now that I
think about it, I'm guessing that can be a cmd line flag as well...

geir