harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [build] Changing native compiler options by setting environment variables
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:22:11 GMT

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've implemented possibility to set native compiler options for debug
> and release mode through environment variables. HYRELEASECFLAGS  for
> release flags and HYDEBUGCFLAGS for debug.
>
> For example, if you want to set more aggressive optimizing options you
> can do the following:
> === Windows ===
> c:>set HYRELEASECFLAGS=-O2
> c:>ant -Dhy.cfg=release
> === Windows ===
>
> === Unix ===
> $export HYRELEASECFLAGS=-O2
> $ant -Dhy.cfg=release
> === Unix ===
>
> I hope this will be useful.
>
> SY, Alexey
>
> P.S. Nadya, you are a doc guru :) Could you please publish info about
> this environment variables and release/debug switch somewhere on the
> site? Thanks in advance.

Several comments :

1) Yarg!  not the dreaded "HY" prefix.  Your name isn't "Ay", mine isn't
"Gr" so Harmony's name isn't "Hy" :)

2) Cool but... is there a way we can convert this facility to command
line properties?  Using environment vars always strikes me as a side
effect - IOW, looking at a script that has :

     $ant -Dhy.cfg=release

you have no clue what ephemeral values were set in the environment...

3) I agree with tim that this is beyond scope for "Getting Started" -
maybe an "Advanced Topics in Building" page?

geir