harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] Retrieving system properties
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:11:45 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> <snip>
>> It answers the question above, but didn't answer my earlier question (I
>> think I asked, of why *not* to have (key, NULL)?  The impl of
>> System.getProperty() can enforce the API of System.getProperty(), but if
>> we find it useful as a general facility in the VMI, why not?
>
> Well, IMO the equvalent question is: do we really find (key, NULL) so
> useful that ready to bear inconvenience or ambiguity of mapping such
> VMI properties to Java?

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess we're looking at two different
sides of the coin -
Geir is thinking "why not have (key, NULL)?" and we are thinking "why have
(key, NULL)?". To be honest, Im not sure there's a convincing argument
on either
side, since we have no actual example of a time when we may or may not want
a NULL value for a key. So I veer slightly towards not having NULL
values just
to match the Java API (and avoid an extra check in System.getProperty())
until
we have a good reason to allow them.

Regards,
Oliver