harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Beliaev <vladimir.k.beli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Wise JIRA processing
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:59:08 GMT
Hello,

interesting point... I'm looking to JIRA from contributor prospective
and I can't get idea from it what is going on with bugs.

AFAIGot the existing solution here is: each contributor should write to
dev-list the question like "what is going on" and "what can I work on"?
If this is true, then you can skip later reading...

Let me explain:

About "subcomponents": suppose, I'm VM threading expect (just suppose -
I'm not actually) and I want to join Harmony (as contributor). I'm
looking into JIRA and see ... h-m-m ... 148 issues... Ok, let's use
filtering - I use 'thread' in search pattern - wau, 105 issues found and
most of them has nothing to do with threading... I better do not look
through all 105 JIRAs and give up...

About "assigments": suppose I got the list of thread related issues
(some way - say, we agreed to add [thread] suffix after [drlvm] prefix
and "JIRA ontributor" regularly re-checks all JIRAs to update summary
acordingly). The number of 'thread' JIRAs is pretty great (say 30). Non
of these issues is assigned (no committer has taken it). Ok, I want to
work on one of them. AFAIK the way of "getting" JIRA is to write "I take
it" in its comment. I start looking through JIRAs and finding "I take
it" in each of them before I find "non-taken" one at the end of list -
something to make any guy distracted.

Base on above I believe we should do something with existing JIRAs -
probably Mikhail proposal (about "JIRA ontributor") is one which worth
implementing.

Thanks
Vladimir