harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Wise JIRA processing
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:09:38 GMT

Mikhail Markov wrote:
> HI!
>

> In my opinion, it's hard to track open JIRAs now.
>

> For example, if the JIRA is not assigned then there is no simple way to
> understand if there's activity in there except opening it in web-browser
> and
> reading comments.
> Only committers could modify the status of JIRAs and put them "In progress"
> mode. As we have not so many committers they could not monitor large number
> of open JIRA.

I'm not sure how your solution helps this.  Can you explain?

> One of possible solutions is implemented in Apache Geronimo project: there
> is so called "JIRA contributor" role when the person could modify JIRAs
> like
> committers (close/reopen JIRA, modify it's status etc.) but could not
> commit
> the code to the repository.
>
> This role seems intermediate between contributor and committer ones, some
> kind of "committer kindergarten" :-).
>
> I think that for better processing JIRA issues we could implement similar
> role in Harmony (or invent something better).
>

> What do you think?

I'm not a fan.  I want to ensure that people show up here on the dev
list, interact with others, and simply *engage*.  While I haven't looked
closely in the last week, my personal impression of things is that we
already have quite a bit of "conversation" on JIRA that never is visible
on the dev list, which isn't very good, IMO.

So I guess I'd probably need to understand better what this does for us,
and why it wouldn't have those negative community effects.

geir