harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Java SE 6 is available
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:04:15 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>> Hello,
>> JFYI, Sun shipped the next major Java release:
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/.
>
> yes, and I got an amazing 40% speed improvement on winxp emulated inside
> parallels on macosx over java5 on the application I'm currently working
> on (some in-memory RDF manipulation library).... so much that it's
> faster to run java6 on winxp emulated than it is to run it on macosx's
> java5 (haven't tested harmony there yet, I'm waiting for the blessed
> snapshots).

That's because winxp isn't being emulated.  It's running directly on
that lovely little CoreDuo processor in your Mac :)

> This seems to be consistent with my previous benchmarks on linux: Sun's
> java6 is perceptually faster than Sun's java5.

Yes.  As I understand it, Sun stopped most major perf work on Java 5 a
long time ago to focus on Java 6.  I've been told that some improvements
for 6 were put in the last updates to 5, but clearly not everything.

Here's some other info :

http://blogs.sun.com/dagastine/date/20061211

geir