harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] Retrieving system properties (was: Re: [classlib][luni] update for bootstrapClassPath causes regression on DRL VM)
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:06:33 GMT

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>>> Now I am confused. What is the difference between a property which has
>>> no value and an undefined property?
>>
>> Some properties may act as a flag, e.g. -Djava.lang.SecurityManager.
>> However, they have empty value in RI (interestingly, DRLVM ignores
>> such arguments - must be a bug). So NULL value is still enough to
>> indicate no such property is set.
>
> I don't see how we can distinguish such properties in drlvm using just
> one function get_property(const char*, PropertyTable). It either returns
> a valid pointer to the property string value or NULL.
>
> Also empty value in my understanding is still a valid value "".

yes, but NULL and "" are still two different things.  I suspect that we
should simply modify the API to have return code :

    int status = get_property(const char* key, const char **value, table)

so you can see if the key exists if you care.  You may not care.

Or, add a new method

   int status = has_key(char *key);

depending on whatever criterion we use for this API.

geir