harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] Retrieving system properties
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:18:37 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>> Now I am confused. What is the difference between a property which has
>>> no value and an undefined property?
>>
>> Sorry, I meant a property whose value is NULL.  So the three cases are:
>>
>> 1) key = "foo", value = "bar"
>> 2) key = "foo", value = NULL
>> 3) no key called "foo"
>>
>> If (2) is disallowed then we should document that in SetSystemProperty().
>
> I would prefer to have (2) to be illegal. Can we document this please?

No objection here.  So to attempt a new clarification ...

GetSystemProperty will return VMI_ERROR_NONE and a string value for
existing properties, or NULL value for a non-existent property.

We then rename VMI_ERROR_NOT_FOUND to VMI_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ARG and
SetSystemProperty will return VMI_ERROR_NONE for setting an existing
property to a string value, or VMI_ILLEGAL_ARG if there is an attempt to
set the property value to NULL.

How does that sound?
Tim