harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] Development has stalled :-(
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:55:51 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/12/06, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One other possibility would be for me to move on-going development of
>> this onto a different version control system, and then when it's
>> finished, I can contribute it in bulk back to Harmony. I'd prefer not
>> to do this on the whole  but I'm wondering if it would be more
>> efficient all round if I did this; that way, I get the benefit of
>> performing smaller commits and I have something that I can write to
>> directly rather than generating cumbersome patches.
>
> Another alternative is to use SVK which makes it possible to do
> decentralized development while being svn friendly. It is built on top
> of svn libraries and if you can use one then you can use the other.
> Heres a description of how I have it setup for another project
>
> http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Get_The_Source#Use_SVK

Agreed, in general we cannot serialize on waiting for patches to be
committed before moving on, and keeping track of your development can be
a problem in the face of multiple patches and commits etc.

I agree that SVK is a good solution, there are other options too, and
Salikh wrote a good description[1] of general workflow.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200611.mbox/%3cek6lqc$gbm$1@sea.gmane.org%3e

Regards,
Tim