harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [doc][user experience] minor improvements to website navigation and content
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:21:33 GMT

Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Hi,
> More responses below.
>
>> (-) Renaming "Contribution policy" -> "Contributing" makes the link
> vague
> +1, but do you think we can say just "Policy"? the page is about several
> notions.
>> (-) Removing subcomponents map from the navigation pane (I use it all
> the
>> time)
> +1 agreed to do earlier. Won't keep the classlib status page though -
> have a more current wiki instead.
>> (-) Removing "Source code" link (I use it regularly). And downloads
> page is
>> not
>> the place I would go to look for a source code repository information.
> +1 ok, I see it's a tension point.
>> (-) Renaming "Mailing lists" -> "Subscribe" ("subscribe" is less
>> informative)
> -1 disagree. I tried to make this group of links more visitor-oriented,
> add simple typical action verbs. It seems more important than the
> abstract "lists" group.

The problem is that people look for "mailing lists" or "mail lists".
"Subscribe" is just something you do to them.  You can also "look at
archives" and "unsubscribe" :)

>> (-) The section "In the project" has no clearly defined subject and
> looks
>> like
>> a heap of links randomly collected together.
> 0. hesitant. I don't know - I've tried to group the links for those
> already in the project. The problem with some pages there - they're not
> as good as they should be. Suggestions welcome.
>> (-) Moving "Downloads" from "General" section to "Get involved"
> section.
>> Most
>> of our users are not going to be involved. They would just want to
> download
>> and
>> use the JDK/JRE.

Agreed - we want downloads up in General, as when people come to the
project, it's something for everyone, rather than those that are involved.

> 0. reluctant. I'd prefer to keep General focused on the project, on
> people and policy and goals. And I am not sure we have too many users
> who want the JDK and won't be involved at all :)

I'm hoping we have *millions* of users who want the JDK and don't want
to be involved. :)

>> (-) Renaming navigation subsection "Community" -> "Get involved". It
> now
>> duplicates with the page title, and does not provide a logical
> explanation
>> of
>> what links are listed in the section. "Community" was explaining the
> group
>> of
>> links better.
> 0. hesitant. Community is more like people inside, and get involved is
> more like resources for people outside. Just my opinion.

Sorry :)  I'll have to agree with Salikh (?) - Community includes
everyone, I think.