harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [doc][user experience] minor improvements to website navigation and content
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:40:36 GMT

Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I've experimented a bit with our website to improve browsing and make
> key pages or ideas stand out more.
>
> See http://people.apache.org/~nadinem/docs/
>
> This is only a starting point, and subject to change. Feedback most
> welcome. We can use this location as a sandbox for improving the
> website. I can volunteer to gather all ideas, make changes and post
> newer versions for everyone to see.

That's nice - but instead of a subsection, why not have us find a little
bitmap or something we can use?  like a finger pointing at the links or
something.  Just something to highlight it...

> So far, I've tried to address the following issues:
>
> - longish menu with some links irrelevant

I never saw that as a problem, actually, and would prefer the
subprojects back.  it's also missing a bit of stuff that I think is
important.

Also, the JDK != HDK, so you'd need to fix the "About the JDK" link

> - unbalanced distribution of info between pages: some real long, some
> too short
>
> - uncontrasting home page and some others: too much info, not visually
> organized
>

> The current version does not fix all the issues, but I had them in mind
> when making changes.  I discovered several pages more with outdated or
> duplicated info, pages with info that belongs elsewhere, etc. So more
> suggestions on how to improve are welcome.
>

> I hope I'm at least moving in the right direction to make the website
> read easily and naturally. Everybody's suggestions and critical remarks
> are welcome.

You are definitely moving in the right direction.

geir