harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [general] google perftool
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:33:10 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> have we considered using
>
>  http://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/

This could possibly be useful for the VM's internal memory allocation,
but I doubt if there would be a noticeable win.

> If I look at
>
>  http://wiki.wikked.net/wiki/Squid_memory_fragmentation_problem
>
> it shows you some serious potential for improvement in memory management
> (but I don't know enough about our GC to know how useful that is)
>
> Thoughts?

In a garbage collected system the issues are very different.  I haven't
studied xiaofeng's code, but in a standard implementation of a
generational GC with a mark-compact nursery:

- allocation is done with a bump-pointer.  The actual allocation can be
done in something like 7 instructions (although I'm not sure whether in
DRLVM the fetch of the pointer from the TLS can be optimized away yet).
   Appel's paper is the standard reference for this.

- Each thread grabs a chunk of memory and allocates from it without
synchronization, then uses a lock to synchronize access to the global
pool when it needs another chunk.  The synchronization cost of
allocation is virtually negligible given an appropriate chunk size.

- The various malloc implementations are free-list allocators.  They
need to maintain lists of free and allocated memory.  They need to worry
about merging adjacent free blocks, finding a best-fit block in a list
of variable size free blocks, fragmentation and all that.  In a copying
GC, we don't have that problem because we can move objects around.

The main ways to get performance out of a garbage collected memory
subsystem are:
- co-locating objects that exhibit temporal locality
- Engineering the mechanisms with minimal overhead (eg the helper
inlining work now being done)
- Choosing algorithms that minimise copying overhead.  Pre-tenuring
objects we know will be long-lived.  Generational collection.

In short, there has been work on improving performance of both garbage
collected and explicit memory management work, which overlap in the
design of free-list allocators (used by mark-sweep and reference counted
collectors), but beyond that the two are very different worlds.

cheers

--
Robin Garner
Dept. of Computer Science