harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Hawtin <tackl...@tackline.plus.com>
Subject Re: [-SPAM-] RE: [-SPAM-] RE: [classlib][swing] an odd code in swing
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:11:13 GMT
Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:
>> From: Nathan Beyer [mailto:nbeyer@gmail.com]
>> Do you know of any specific examples of code that's required to be
> thread
>> safe?
>
> Yes, I do. For example: javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument.remove,
> .insertString, .createPosition;
> javax.swing.text.JTextComponent.replaceSelection, .setText.

Supposedly repaint, revalidate and invalidate are intended to be
thread-safe.

EventListenerList claims to provide "a degree of MT safety", which is
utterly meaningless.

> [1] http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/swingdoc-archive/threads.html

I suspect that section of the tutorial has been replaced since the
references to it in the RI API docs were written...

There is a key point about statics. Applets running from different web
sites should have different event threads. Therefore, statics in Swing
(and elsewhere) need to be treated with extreme caution.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102622-1

Tom Hawtin