harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Richard <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing][testing] Tests that depend on Garbage Collector
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 02:47:42 GMT
Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are three tests in Swing which depend on Garbage Collector. That is GC is _really_
run as the result of System.gc() call.

> These tests are:
>     * javax.swing.text.GapContent_InternalTest.testPositionGC(),
>     * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCache(), and
>     * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCacheFont().
>
> What they check is:
> * j.s.t.Position instances are removed from the internal list of GapContent when an instance
is not used any more. (PhantomReference and WeakReference are involved.)
> * cached AttributeSets are removed from it (WeakHashMap).
> * cached Fonts are removed from the corresponding cache (WeakReference).
>

> These tests always pass when run on the RI. They were used to ensure caching works fine.
None of VMs in Harmony seem to perform garbage collection when System.gc() is called, and
mostly these tests fail. However, sometimes they pass.

Alexey,

According to the spec, "System.gc" only suggests JVM recycle unused
objects, it does not guarantee that gc will be run.

Best regards,
Richard.

> How can we handle these tests? Just remove them?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> --
> Alexey A. Ivanov

Richard Liang