harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][Helper inlining] GC write barrier inline?
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 02:07:42 GMT
Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Today helpers are inlined only by SD2_OPT JIT. We can add helpers inlining
> to SD1_OPT too, but helpers classes are initialized only from VMStart class
> - so there will be ~1k methods compiled by SD1_OPT without helpers inlined
> and we will have a problem to differentiate them.

In the JikesRVM OPT compiler, write barriers and so on are inlined at
the point where bytecode is translated to HIR.  This allows the compiler
to apply the full range of intraprocedural optimizations to the barrier.
  Wouldn't this approach make the most sense here ?  Then nothing
special needs to be done to gather edge profiles etc for barriers
because they are simply part of the given method ?

Of course Mature->nursery pointer mutations will always be the common
case (this is after all the basis of generational GC).

cheers

--
Robin Garner
Dept. of Computer Science