harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] VM internationalization again
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:57:44 GMT

Dmitry Yershov wrote:
> 2006/12/5, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:
>> On 12/5/06, Dmitry Yershov <dmitry.yershov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > P.s. One more question is tormented me: Should we internationalize LOG
>> > and TRACE (they are for debug version of VM only) output?
>> >

>> I think we should not do it. At least I do not understand what is use
>> case
>> for i18n of DRLVM logging.
>
>    Help message, help message on non standard options, messages about
> fatal errors are printed by DRLVM logging system. It would be great to
> see these message on native language.
>    On the other hand, DRLVM logging system has a lot of "messages for
> developers" (see LOG and TRACE defines). These, messages are appeared
> in debug version of VM only. My question is: Should we
> internationalize such messages?

I think internationalizing what we can is good.  I wouldn't make it our
highest priority, but if it's easy to do lazily...

It makes the Harmony codebase that much more compelling for both
non-english speakers as well as ISVs, who tend to internationalize
anyway to be competitive in non-english-speaking countries...

geir