harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing][testing] Tests that depend on Garbage Collector
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 02:49:57 GMT
If you want to test the GC of something, don't need to use an
aggressive algorithm that performs System.gc() and runFinalizaion() in
a loop that's iterated based on the amount of memory that was freed? I
seem to recall seeing such an algorithm in one of the original Sun
Java books.

-Nathan

On 12/6/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <alexey.a.ivanov@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are three tests in Swing which depend on Garbage Collector. That is GC is _really_
run as the result of System.gc() call.

> These tests are:
>     * javax.swing.text.GapContent_InternalTest.testPositionGC(),
>     * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCache(), and
>     * javax.swing.text.StyleContextTest.testCollectGarbageInCacheFont().
>
> What they check is:
> * j.s.t.Position instances are removed from the internal list of GapContent when an instance
is not used any more. (PhantomReference and WeakReference are involved.)
> * cached AttributeSets are removed from it (WeakHashMap).
> * cached Fonts are removed from the corresponding cache (WeakReference).
>

> These tests always pass when run on the RI. They were used to ensure caching works fine.
None of VMs in Harmony seem to perform garbage collection when System.gc() is called, and
mostly these tests fail. However, sometimes they pass.