harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Angela Lin" <alin.harm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][shutdown] Part2: How to shutdown native threads?
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:11:16 GMT
On 12/7/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thread creation and shutdown callback registration operations should
> be atomic. In other words, there should be no possibility to shutdown
> the thread between these two operations. Thus it seems to be
> convenient to pass shutdown callback as a parameter to the
> hythread_create & hythread_attach routines. It is how they will look:

This seems reasonable, but can you please clarify what the shutdown
callback should do?

Should it:
1. Tell the thread to shut itself down?
2. Tell the thread to clean up its resources?
3. Clean up resources for the thread?
4. .. some combination of the above?

Does the shutdown callback have to be called on a live thread?
The shutdown callback had better be threadsafe.

This API feels a bit redundant. Threads that know to do
hythread_attach(), or are hythread_create()ed, are usually VM helper
threads and we already have other ways to coordinate shutdown with
them. ... But this method is arguably more elegant.

In practice, we've had a lot more trouble with daemon threads.

Angela