harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: How to mark ready-to-integrate JIRAs?
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:11:22 GMT

> maybe we adopt a new [tag] for traffic?

It seems to me, everybody would soon skip it without looking.
And those few who wouldn't, read harmony-commits list anyway and see any
changes occuring.

It's better not to write a mail at all, than write it marking "this is
non-important message,
don't read it" - the result is the same, but the traffic is higher and
more time is spent.
And we already have a list for such "non-important" messages,
harmony-commits.

 Vasily

-----Original Message-----
From: Geir Magnusson Jr. [mailto:geir@pobox.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:00 AM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to mark ready-to-integrate JIRAs?

On Dec 27, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Zakharov, Vasily M wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> There're many issues in our JIRA that can be closed or integrated
> with no much effort. Issues with simple patches but with no
> "patch available" flag set, "Won't Fix" issues, non-bug differences
> are all good examples.
>
> And closing an issue (in a right way) is always good as it allows
> that issue to be forgotten and put off everybody's mind - one problem
> less to think of.
>
> But we have no effective instrument for a contributor to attract
> a committer's attention to a particular small issue.

The dev list?  Please?

> For now the only way to do that is writing to the dev-list,
> which is not very effective - we already have traffic high enough.
> Moreover, that information is only relevant to committers, who are
> minority (though very important) in the list - all other contributors
> would read such a message for nothing, wasting their time.

Not true!  There are lots of benefits to this kind of thing, such as
raising more public awareness about the issue, let people with ideas
review and comment, etc

> The other way used now to attract a committer's attention, is setting
> "Patch available" flag. But I can only set it on my own issues,
> and setting it is probably not appopriate for "Won't Fix" issues.
>
> Probably we could introduce some keyword, for example, FIX_AVAILABLE,
> that contributors could add to their comments to the respective JIRAs
> and committers could search for using conventional JIRA search?
>
> This way the committers' reaction to patches could be faster and
> choosing the right issue to put efforts to would be more well-founded
> and information-based for committers.
>
> What do you think?

I'm going to be a stick in the mud here - the best way to get
people's attention should be dev list - maybe we adopt a new [tag]
for traffic?

geir