harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject How to mark ready-to-integrate JIRAs?
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:14:03 GMT
Hi, all,

There're many issues in our JIRA that can be closed or integrated
with no much effort. Issues with simple patches but with no
"patch available" flag set, "Won't Fix" issues, non-bug differences
are all good examples.

And closing an issue (in a right way) is always good as it allows
that issue to be forgotten and put off everybody's mind - one problem
less to think of.

But we have no effective instrument for a contributor to attract
a committer's attention to a particular small issue.

For now the only way to do that is writing to the dev-list,
which is not very effective - we already have traffic high enough.
Moreover, that information is only relevant to committers, who are
minority (though very important) in the list - all other contributors
would read such a message for nothing, wasting their time.

The other way used now to attract a committer's attention, is setting
"Patch available" flag. But I can only set it on my own issues,
and setting it is probably not appopriate for "Won't Fix" issues.

Probably we could introduce some keyword, for example, FIX_AVAILABLE,
that contributors could add to their comments to the respective JIRAs
and committers could search for using conventional JIRA search?

This way the committers' reaction to patches could be faster and
choosing the right issue to put efforts to would be more well-founded
and information-based for committers.

What do you think?

Vasily Zakharov