harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [general] JIRA issue search problem
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 00:48:03 GMT

And here's my contributor +1 to Alexey's point.

Searching and sorting for "right" JIRAs to pay attention to
is a routine, permanent task. Let's make it easier.

For now, I am forced to have a separate table on my computer
with the list of JIRAs I'm interested in and with additional
status marks. And I'd like to get rid of it. :)

With best regards,
  Vasily

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey Petrenko [mailto:alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 8:44 PM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: Re: [general] JIRA issue search problem

Salikh,

there is some truth in your words...
Yes, if we got a big issue then nothing strange in fixing it by 2, 3
or 10 people. And fix will probably appear faster and will be better.

But most of 700 open issues in JIRA now are rather simple issues. Like
wrong exception,  no exception and so on. How many people will we need
to add an NPE check? 2, 3 or 10? There is an old joke: "How many
programmers do you need to change the lamp?" :)
And it's real pain to open tens of simple issues to check if somebody
already working on it. Impossibility of setting "patch available" flag
makes the situation even worse because you should check already fixed
issues too while you find some free to fix issue.

So adding additional assignee field will help to sort the issues and
will make life for all contributors easier. From the other hand it
will not bring any troubles in fixing complicated issues by teams.

Is it a problem of contributors or managers? I'm not a manger...
yet... :) So I do not know is it important for them or not. I've never
heard any questions from my manager about JIRA processing.
Contributors? I'm, as a Harmony contributor, has a problem with
searching issues. I've asked few Harmony contributors around and they
supported my vision.
So I would say that there is a problem for Harmony contributors and I
know nothing about managers.

SY, Alexey

2006/12/15, Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zakirov@intel.com>:
> Original problem statement was formulated by Mikhail:
> > For example, if the JIRA is not assigned then there is no simple way
> > understand if there's activity in there except opening it in
web-browser and
> > reading comments.
>
> I would argue that anyone who is really going to work on an issue,
will
> definitely want to read through issue comments carefully, so this is
not
> a problem for contributors.
>
> Rather, this is a problem of managers of employees assigned to work
> on the Harmony project, as they (managers) do not have good means to
monitor
> what issues engineers work on.
>
> > Only committers could modify the status of JIRAs and put them "In
progress"
> > mode. As we have not so many committers they could not monitor large
number
> > of open JIRA.
>
> From the point of view of open-source community (set aside corporate
culture
> etc.), there is no difference between "unassigned" and "in progress"
issue,
> as this basically means that the fix is still not available.
>
> And if anyone _really_ interested in fixing a problem, then reading
comments
> and interacting with others interested in the same problem is *good*.
> It facilitates better patch and design review, and overall leads to a
better
> software quality.
>
> However, several engineers working on the same problem is perceived as
> an inefficiency in corporate setting, and thus is stated as a problem.
>
> Thus, the second problem is also induced by _sponsoring corporations_.
>
> In short, both Harmony contributors and committers (with "Harmony hat
on") have
> *none* of the stated above problems.
> It is managers of sponsoring corporations that need improvement in
JIRA
> searching capabilities.
>
> I am not suggesting that Harmony should ignore wishes of the managers
> of sponsoring corporations, but I think that the problem could be
solved
> much better if the problem and its justification is stated clearly,
> without alluding to contributor problems which do not really exist.
>

> But then, with current JIRA configurations, some problems do exist,
> which could be addressed tweaking JIRA configuration, but now requires
> mail communication. This is something that I encountered in *my
practice*:

> * When submitting a patch for an issue filed by someone else, the
committer
> attention will not be attracted automatically, because I can't set
'patch
> available' status. The workaround for this is to create subtask for
the
> fixed issue, and attach patch to that subtask, with 'patch available'
set.
> IMHO, this workaround is good enough.
>
> * When searching for issues related to particular component, I can
easily
> miss some of them, because '[component]' notation is not universally
used
> (now and then someone forgets to add component), and since only
committers
> and submitters are allowed to edit jira summary and categories,
cleaning
> up issues requires mail communications.
>
> IMHO, None of this is critical, and may be left as is.
>
> > How about the following structure:
> > 1) Contributor assignee field for everybody (if a committer working
on
> > patch preparation he/she should use this field). Also, for example,
if it's
> > non-null then the status of unresolved JIRA is "In progress"
automatically.
> > 2) Committer assignee field for committers
>
> These are not really needed neither to committers, nor to
contributors.
> It will not do any harm though, and definitely will be useful
> for sponsoring corporations.
>
> So, +0
>
> > 3) Everybody could set "Patch available" tag (another option is:
JIRA