harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Konovalova, Svetlana" <svetlana.konoval...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [general] JUnit consistency, practices
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:11:15 GMT
IMHO we can start collecting info about running the classlib tests.
I suggest to create a new wiki page, let's say, "Running The Classlib
Tests" and add a link to it front the wiki front page > components >
class library.
ASA we get the clear picture of this issue and verify all the ways to
run tests, we'll be able to post this info on the web-site.
Want do you think?
I'd be glad to help.

Best regards,
Sveta

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexei Zakharov [mailto:alexei.zakharov@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 5:25 PM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: Re: [general] JUnit consistency, practices

+1 for having the doc. But personally I don't know the way how to run
tests from the particular test class (not to speak of individual test
methods) using the current build system. So I don't really know what
exactly should be copy/pasted.  Or you was talking about by-hand test
invocation cmd mentioned above?

Thanks,

2006/12/5, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com>:
> Agree! When I tried harmony on some applications, I found it is very
> hard to run the test of application mainly because there is no
> instruction for that at all. So I think it is also not very easy for
> user who have interest to run tests of harmony. And a good instruction
> may be good for having many user's help to run harmony tests on
> various platforms.
>
> On 12/4/06, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps some kind of "How To Run The Classlib Tests" section on
> > the website would be useful? (Assuming there isn't already one with
> > this information in) Then none of us would have to remember - it
> > would be right there to copy/paste :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Oliver
> >

> > Ivan Popov wrote:
> > > Alexei,
> > >
> > > I agree that it is still possible to run JUnit tests from command
line
> > > even without having main() in the code. But I think it is easier
> > > run test by convenient way
> > >
> > >  $ java -cp junit.jar TestClass
> > >
> > > rather than in a more complex manner
> > >
> > >  $ java -cp junit.jar junit.textui.TestRunner TestClass
> > >
> > > Actually, I constantly forget the right spelling of the full class
> > > name for TestRunner class and have to look into JUnit doc to
specify
> > > proper name for such a command line. Also, it would be
inconvenient if
> > > someone runs test from an IDE that does not support JUnit
environment,
> > > but launches test as a usual Java application.
> > >
> > > I don't insist on adding main() to each JUnit testcase, but I see
no
> > > reason for removing this functionality from those test where it
> > > already exists.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Ivan

I'd