harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compatibility or non-bug question
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:40:12 GMT
On 12/16/06, Zakharov, Vasily M <vasily.m.zakharov@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm now trying to investigate and fix some trivial bugs, but I'm not
> sure which way to fix them to.

feel free to post them on dev list :)

> There're multiple situations where RI, say, doesn't throw exception and
> Harmony does throw, and throwing an exception in that situation looks
> good and logical.
>
> In other words, the question is, what is a compatibility bug (that needs
> to be fixed to match RI) and what is a non-bug difference.
>
> Also, there's a question on non-bug differences. They're not bugs, but
> what should we do to them? Just close them, if Harmony behaviour seems
> more correct than RI's? Or fix them to match RI though they're not bugs,
> to make sure we don't break existing applications?

A non-bug difference indicates that it is an acceptable difference
between RI and Harmony and won't be fixed. Hence what we could to is
raise a JIRA issue and close it.

> Here are two characteristic examples of uncertainties that occur rather
> frequently:
>
> Do we have some, say, policy, or guideline on how issues like these
> could (or should) be resolved?
>
> There're many issues like these, and having a general approach would
> ease dealing with them...
>
> Any opinions?

IMHO, if the difference blocks some real applications, it should be
fixed. And if RI obviously disobeys the spec and we have no strong
reason to follow, we should file it as a non-bug difference. Any way,
put the issus on mailing list when you feel confused is a good
solution.

> Thank you!
>
> Vasily Zakharov

Tony Wu