harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][vote] new snapshots
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:17:07 GMT
On Saturday 16 December 2006 01:20 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> My personal view is that we should statically link this crap into the
> package so that there's no prereqs - just get harmony, run harmony, and
> be in harmony.

I think we should get the understanding about what we are going to provide in
the end. The source or the binaries. Which way it would be easier (or
possible) to certify the package as Java?

I would definitely prefer to provide source and leave the integration to the
distributions. Same model is assumed by KDE or mplayer projects. They just
don't create any binaries, and all the bugs which are possible are to be
considered by the downstream distributions first, patches and fixes sent
upstream.

> But I'm in the minority here...

Static linking doesn't work in many ways, on x86_64 for example. I don't
really care dynamic or static, but the reality is that static linking often
is just impossible.

--
Gregory