harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Porting to new unix platforms
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:40:23 GMT

On 2 December 2006 at 12:20, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
> +1

Assuming I get no objections, I'll start on the rename on Monday.  (I
have the first part ready to go.  The second part involves renaming the
packages like org.apache.harmony.awt.*.linux but this doesn't really get
in the way of porting.)

> comments inline
>
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Anyone object[0] if I change the the classlib platform-specific
> > subdirectories from using os name (windows or linux) to using
> > os family (windows or unix)?  I think most of the code on unix
> > platforms is going to be pretty common and I'd like to start looking
> > at freebsd.
>
> Right - how do we go further?  I've toyed with porting the build files
> to os X, and I'm itching to take a run at it again.  I do want to fix
> the DRLVM build first as a prio..

One of the things that makes porting classlib natives difficult (or
interesting ;-) is that we don't have any tests of the natives so really
you have no way to test until you are almost completely finished.
Perhaps some tests would make it easier for potential porters?

That said, I feel I'm making steady progress with FreeBSD.  I'll be
checking in the changes I'm making as I go - but I really need the linux
to unix rename out the way before the changes can be used without an
enormous ant command line that is full of overrides.

I've come across a few things that will require a good deal more
thought so I'm putting in hacks (that should run but significantly
sub-optimally) and todo items.  Having specific issues/questions should
make it easier to get help from any ASF FreeBSD gurus out there.

> > I'd also like to move the definitions that are only used
> > in makefiles (hy.cflags, etc) from make/properties to
> > depends/build/defines.mk - because:
>
> Maybe throw ${harmony.platform} in there?
>
>    depends/build/windows/....
>    depends/build/unix/....
>    depends/build/VMS/....
>
> Dunno - I don't really know what's right here.

Yeah.  I'd considered that before if only because I'm forever forgetting
which of the extensions (.mk or .mak) is linux^H^H^H^H^Hunix and which is
windows.

Regards,
 Mark.