harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools] Eclipse debugger is now supported with Harmony JDK
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:58:25 GMT

On Dec 29, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Ivan Popov wrote:

> Once jdktools building problems and several JVMTI issues had been
> fixed, I created local snapshot of Harmony JDK (using federated build)
> and tested it with Eclipse debugger. It appeared working well on both
> Windows and Linux (IA32), so it is possible now to use Eclipse
> debugger for debugging Java applications running on Harmony JRE. I
> think we can add Eclipse JDT debugger to the list of supported
> applications.

Woot!

Care to post some instructions for people - say on the wiki for now,
and we'll move to our site?

> There are still several minor issues with full JDWP support, I've
> submitted them to JIRA and will provide patches for JDWP agent. I
> revealed also a couple of JVMTI problems in DRLVM implementation to be
> submitted to JIRA. All this does not prevent one from using Eclipse
> debugger for typical debug scenarios, because these problems usually
> appear in specific cases.
>
> I'd like also to improve jdktools build to enable building and running
> JDWP unit tests and include these tests into regular testing process.

Thanks for the reminder.  I didn't get those done when getting JDWP
into the jdktools.  If you don't beat me to it, I'll get them
integrated.

And I agree, we need to get the tests integrated into the regular
process.  Also, we should also start testing the other tools as
well.  (Make sure javac does something useful, etc...)

> This will check that JVMTI debug support is not broken with DRLVM
> changes as it sometimes occur, but will probably require changing
> testing infrastructure to use full JDK build instead of sole classlib
> and/or DRLVM components. I'm going to work on this and would
> appreciate any help.

Remember, changes to the testing infrastructure can be additive -
IOW, add a target for CC that does the JDK tools testing, using the
full JDK build, rather than changing it to be "instead of".

> I've tested also Eclipse TPTP profiler and it appeared working well
> with Harmony JRE in general, but currently is blocked by HARMONY-2905.
> Will continue working on this.

Again, any simple how-tos on this would be magnificent...

geir