harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] version of GCC...
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:15:19 GMT
On the 0x216 day of Apache Harmony Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > did we ever bottom out on what range of GCC we'll support?
> > I have a patch I want to commit that is known to not compile under
> > 4.1.1...
> Hmm no I don't remember such agreement. I think GCC is mostly
> backwards compatible, and anything that compiles on 4.1.1 should
> compile on previous versions. So it is better to support the latest
> stable.
> Not many people would like to install such GCC version, but someone
> like me could at least give warnings that the most recent version of
> GCC doesn't compile some code.

yes, and comment JIRA accordingly (with suggested fix). This way we
can support a very wide renge of GCCs constantly. I doubt I can use
the latest GCC soon, so I cannot check patches constantly.

Does it make sense to use something CruiseControl-ish that walks
around JIRA patches and reports statistics which of them build OK? I
thought of such a tool recently.. Not a task I would dream to
implement though.

Egor Pasko

View raw message