harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 06:46:27 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Classically, licensors seem to just make a statement about it.

Yup, authors should know best what terms apply to their works. Practically
speaking, if they went with the GPL, Sun could just say "it's not 'viral' for
all the practical purposes" and that would be the quick end of any scary
problem, I guess.

> For
> example, see the Hibernate clarification to the LGPL, or how MySQL just
> basically told the FSF that the GPL *is* compatible with the Apache License.

Judging from the FOSS exception license text[1], what MySQL did was to simply
add an exception to the GPL, that permits software under a set of open source
licenses to create derivative works. I believe that's what you meant, right?

dalibor topic

[1] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html ...  it has
the familiar "As a special exception to the terms and conditions of version 2.0
of the GPL" ring.

View raw message