harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:52:33 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > Java under GPL? It is probably bad news for Java developers...
> >
> > As far as I understand you'll can not create non GPL application on
> > top of GPL Java...
> > License gurus, is that right?
>
> GPL proponents claim that there is no problem running under a GPL-ed VM,
> but given aspects such as JNI and such, I do wonder if that's simply
> wishful thinking.

I'd be very surprised, in case that they actually decided to go with the GPL, if
they haven't thought about all that, and have a bunch of good answers that
explain that all the desirable things can happen without leaving any room for
fear, uncertainty or doubt about the effects of the license.

After all, one should not forget that Sun has managed to get the JDK into
Debian. So they must have more than sufficient experience in dealing with
armchair lawyering about their license choices on the internet. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic