harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Ringrose" <mike.ringr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Behaving differently than RI
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:08:14 GMT
ICU would not see this as a bug, because it is a feature of their
implementation of DecimalFormat. The pattern ".1" for ICU means to round the
value to the nearest tenth, while the RI takes it literally. If you look at
the JavaDocs for ICU, you'll see the following message:

*This is an enhanced version of DecimalFormat that is based on the standard
version in the JDK. New or changed functionality is labeled NEW or CHANGED.
[1]

This is why I chose my example, the ICU version is an "enhanced" version of
DecimalFormat that extends the RI implementation. I'm not sure if this
should be deviation from the RI should be considered a bug. However, if it
is, then this issue could be problematic for Harmony using the ICU's
implementation.

[1]
http://icu.sourceforge.net/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/DecimalFormat.html

Mike Ringrose